Monday, March 29, 2004

he looks like the evil villains in the bad medieval movies

The other day I was walking to work, kicking rocks and wondering if i would see the 2:45 weird guy today, when I got to thinking. My current boss, Glenn, is one of those guys who thinks that he is smarter than whoever he is talking to. He is always telling these stories or repeating those little facts that everyone knows a different set of. He has this degrading way of telling these things with a condescending smile and pause at the end as if he is waiting for the information to sink in and you to look up in wide eyed amazement and say to him, "Well golly Glenn, I sure do hope someday I can be as smart as you are!"
The other week I was standing behind him while he checked out the last customer before I was going to take over the register when he turns around to tell me, "Here's a tip for you, when I take someone's money I find it to be a good idea to place the money to the side while I make their change so there will be no confusion later." (big smile and pause) At the time I just looked at him, told him I usually do that anyways, and let it go. While I was walking I was thinking about this incident. As a little background it's important to know that I have just been passed up for a promotion which was given to a kid who turned into a controlling ass as soon as he was given a tiny bit of power. I'm walking along and trying to decide if it is a good idea to let Glenn know that I already know most of the facts he tells me and, because I have been working in the store for about four times longer than he has, I know all the little tips he gives me. If I do this he will realize that I am not in fact an idiot and am capable of figuring things out for myself. Then again, is it a better idea to act dumb and let him think he is teaching me all these things and that I am a quick lerner. This way he will have that feeling of being smarter than me but still respect me as a good student in the delicate craft of noodle buffet service.
After about 3 minutes of deep thought I was suddenly disgusted by the whole thing and spent the rest of the walk wondering if 2:45 weird guy lives by my house or just parks his car there.

No comments: