YAY Happy Hour
The other day my school was hosting an anti-drinking games and barbecue happy hour in the parking lot outside my apartment. I had promised Big Tall Bryan that I would go because he was helping host it. When I got home from work and Inch wanted to go too I figured I really had no choice.
We got to the party about half an hour before it was going to end. Naturally, we walked in in the middle of a drunk driving survivor's heartbreaking confession. I was distracted by the beer goggle football toss going on in the background so I'm not exactly sure how the speech went but it was something along the lines of, "I was a cool guy, I went to concerts and dances, I had lots of friends and girlfriends, I had my whole future in front of me. Then I drove drunk. Now I have no life, no friends, and no future." A lesson learned.
The speech ended and Inch and I headed over to the line at the beer goggle golf cart obstacle course. After about 20 minutes of watching the cone guy pick up cone after knocked down cone even I was getting annoyed with all the bad driving. Inch and I went to stand in the line for the computer simulator because the line was shorter, only about 5 or so people all together. The drunk driver speaker was standing a few people ahead of us talking with the simulator operator.
After a few tragic crashes Inch and I were quickly moving up the line. When we were only about 2 people in front of us Drunk Driver decided to come and chat for a while. He danced and talked to inch about reggae while I contemplated how rude it would be for me to take a little step to the side, try for an entire foot of space between the two of us. Some how the subject of work came up. Drunk Driver looked at me and said, "I can't work anymore."
I braced myself, expecting another why-you-shouldn't-drive-drunk lecture that seemed to be waiting around every corner at this place.
"I'm on disability, the government pays me not to work."
(Still expected to be made to feel bad about my drinking habits, you know, the ones that I don't even have.)
"I never have to work again if I don't want to! It's so great, I put a down payment on a house with my first check." When I turned to look at him he was looking at me with a big grin on his face.


No comments:
Post a Comment