Thursday, March 11, 2004

We're all hungry and dumb for friday

So, it's Thursday night before spring break. I have a linguistics quiz tomorrow. Ha. Studying in Arizona would be an exercise in gross over-achievement. Instead I'm doing this because I've bitched to everyone who will physically listen to me and clearly, I haven't been satisfied.

Right now I work for the Student Union on campus. I work in the Three Cheeses and a Noodle which is basically a watered down, over priced noodle buffet. My job involves scooping noodles, smiling at customers, cooking, cleaning marinara stains, working cash register, busing tables, washing dishes, and whatever else. Just like any other low paying, low skill job, when shit needs to be done whoever is standing around does it. Well, Tuesday was Carina's job eveluation day to see if she has earned her 25 cent raise. Basically, I sit down with Glenn (boss) and he checks off this sheet that lists all the above jobs to see if I'm fufilling my duties. Since I'm actually a good worker the majority of the form is a no-brainier, until we got to the busing question. Glenn checks off the 'never' box and claims that I haven't been doing dishes. Because Glenn makes me uncomfortable and I knew I was getting the raise regardless I figured what the hell and didn't argue about the whole dishes thing. (Keep in mind before Glenn came around I did dishes nearly every time I worked and even now I still do them on a regular basis) Well that night I decide to take the hint that maybe I'm not doing them as often as I could be so I tackle them all by myself. Naturally, it takes me an hour and 15 minutes to finish which is way after everyone else has gone home for the day.

Denise(cashier) decides that I have gone above and beyond and tells Glenn about my dish washing experience on Wednesday. Thursday rolls around and I arrive for work at 3. At 3:05 Glenn comes up to me. Here's how it goes:

"Hi Carina."
"Hello."
"I hear you were initiated on Tuesday."
(Look of confusion) "Initiated? What are you talking about?"
(He breaks out that big condesending smile I hate) "You did the dishes!"

It's 10:06 and inside I'm still standing there with my mouth hanging open.

No comments: