A while ago my BFF for fucking ever and ever came to visit me in Iowa. You may remember her from such posts as Here is a list of reasons why visiting me is better than whatever the hell you are doing right now, Photojournalism, and Long Overdue. While she was here we attended the Sanctuary's very last ever half priced wine bottle night. (before I start this next part remember: it's the Sanctuary's very last ever half priced wine bottle night and you would have done the same thing) We get wasted.
On the walk home we pass by this highly stylized old house with a huge banner on the outside "The Sullivan Gang." Alana has been asking what that is all week and I have no idea. We walk by, I hear Alana declare "The light's on," and she hangs a hard left and marches into the house. I, naturally, blindly follow.
Now, I swear to god in the days leading up to this moment we really thought the Sullivan Gang was some kind of non-profit, grassroots activist organization. We get inside and here are three stoner kids with a pile of drums and guitars watching Elvis.
Alana demands to know, "What is this!?"
They play for us, I insist they watch Biodome instead of Elvis, and eventually we leave.
***
Lucky for me the Sullivan Gang is right on my walk to and from school/teaching/library/downtown/bars/coop. Yeah.
I manage to make it over a month before seeing the Sullivan Gang Kid again. I'm walking home from school and some speedy fucker passes me on the sidewalk. I see the back of his head (I am wicked good at recognizing hair styles). Oh shit. I don't say anything.
He gets about 15 feet ahead of me and turns around. I fiddle with my iZune. He totally knows who I am.
He continues walking and I recall the point in that night when Alana realized she lost her phone and we WENT BACK TO THE SULLIVAN GANG HOUSE. Alana ransacked the living room and I sat on the edge of the Sullivan Gang Kid's armchair watching the Elvis tape he apparently put back into the VCR. He pulled me down and then I was sitting in the Sullivan Gang Kid's armchair. This was fine until Alana came back and I got embarrassed so I said (I swear to god), "Alana is looking for her phone and I'm... I'm doing this."
Brilliant.
While I'm walking behind Sullivan Gang Kid I remember saying that and literally start LAUGHING OUT LOUD.
He hears me.
He turns around and here I am laughing out loud by myself in the middle of the day.
I stop.
He lingers at the corner where we should be turning up Bowery together. I charge ahead, through the traffic light and end up walking and extra two blocks out of my way because that kid must think
I AM
FUCKING
INSANE.
...and I never want to talk to him again.
...and this is all your fault Alana.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I just laughed till I cried. You just made my terrible day fantastic.I hope that guy googles "The Sullivan Gang" and finds your blog.
Post a Comment