Friday, August 15, 2008

Why am I in charge?

So, I've been spending the last couple days trying to write/plan my syllabus for fiction video production. I need to come up with three production assignments. I like the standard dialogue assignment, I have to keep the final project do-as-you-wish in under 5 minutes, but really can't stand the typical in camera edit first assignment.

Since I don't actually have a narrative filmmaking background (...shhhh) and really want them to have the freedom to be really creative without coming up with a police chase scene or drunkin-fratboy-rape scene (at least not until their final projects when I lose control, sigh) I have decided to force my background on them.

Assignment One: Take one of the provided Yoko Ono experimental scripts as inspiration for a three part structured narrative.

Here are some examples (and there are so many more):

Film No 4: Bottoms

String bottoms together in place of signatures for petition for peace.

Film No 11: Passing

See the sky from the bottom of a very deep well. A cloud passes through slowly from left to right and disappears.

Film No 12: Your Legs Forever

The camera work of the entire film should constantly go up, up, up non-stop. Collect 367 pairs of legs and just go up the legs (from toes to the end of thighs) pair after pair and go on up until you run through the whole 367.

Film No. 13: Fly

Let a fly walk on a woman's body from toe to head and fly out the window.




I can't wait for this semester's evals.

No comments: