What would Bukowski do?
I had two similar and rather surprising(annoying) run-ins with camera phones recently.
Last Thursday I was working outside at a catering event in Reston. There was a bit of a lull between the waves of people and I was just standing there staring at the parking lot. Off in the distance I saw an older man pull a briefcase out of his car and a cell phone out of the briefcase. As he walked towards me he held the phone out in front of him, squinting at the little screen. He pointed it at me as he walked by and into the building.
About twenty minutes later (amazingly during ANOTHER lull) he comes out and pulls out the phone again. This time he walks right up to me and holds the camera steady in front of me.
"Look. Smile. It's a camera. I just got it. It holds 100 minutes."
"Are you going to take 100 minutes of this?"
Then he walked away.
***
The next night I was out with my sister and two other girls. The four of us were stopped at a crosswalk when I looked at the car next to us. Inside there was a 20-something man(dude), his passenger window rolled all the way down so he could lean across and stick his camera phone out for an unobstructed picture.
"I think that guy is filming us."
He was unfazed.
"That guy is filming us."
I stared and pointed right at him. He was all of ten feet away. Everybody looked just as the light turned. The man creeped slowly (painfully slowly) away, eyes still on the camera phone until we were out of sight before the four of us continued to our party.
***
Not too long after I got this message from a Dove chocolate:
Since I always believe/follow the written advice of all of my snack foods, I am beginning to think perhaps it is time to take alias blogging to the next level.
Alias living?!
Perhaps not.


2 comments:
um, the only wig i have acquired in my entire life, looks just like yours!
I thought the chocolate had meant for you to put on more clothes, as in an amish sense.
Post a Comment