Tuesday, December 26, 2006

My mother taught me to always carry an ID card in case of disfiguring accidents

I went to the dentist on Thursday. After looking at my chart the oral hygienist took me out to a big white machine, dressed me in a vest, and stuck a clear plastic stick into my mouth. The result was a 360 degree x-ray of the entire contents of my mouth.

She explained what she was looking for as she examined the picture. Cysts, cancers, dark and light spots, cracks. Everything looked fine.

But...

"OOH! Look at that. You have wiggly roots."

I ran my tongue along the base of my teeth. Suddenly my my mouth felt all wrong.

Later the dentist also looked.
"Everything looks good."

"That lady said I have wiggly roots."

He looked closer.

"Oh, you do..."

and he looked right at me when he said,

"YUCK."


Imagine if a doctor looked at the insides of you and all he could think to say is 'yuck.' Shouldn't there be training against that?

No comments: