Wednesday 10pm -3am Shift
The woman with the torn up and reassembled photograph comes in again tonight. She sits in the back room and cries over it only occasionally taking a break to play a few notes of air guitar. She tells Nick of the magical creatures who once roamed free in the Himalayas. Drinks tea and coke. I forget to charge for the coke. She does not leave a tip.
The two boys with turrets come in. They leave a good tip.
Older middle eastern guy comes in and leaves this on the back of the check:
"Please be merciful and give me your number"
He can not pay so he gives me his number and drivers license. I'll see him tomorrow.
Hispanic man sits down and calls me over. He speaks with a heavy accent and is very inarticulate. He demands that i "Listen to him." while he proceeded to tell me that some American people are good and some are bad. He asks me if I understand. I say I do. He tells me some american women are very good and asks me if i understand. He starts to yell at me to listen to him and tries to get me to sit down. I tell him no and walk away. The people at the table next to him are quick to follow. He yells at me a few more times to listen. I avoid eye contact.
Boy in grey shirt comes in. He is drunk and runs out the door with a stolen baklava. He comes back a little later and keeps using the phone. He isn't buying anything and isn't leaving. Nick tells him to leave and he tells Nick to make him. He makes a scene, a scary one. Nick calls the cops. GUy runs out the door. Nick = Hero.
Jalal writes a story for english as a second language class about him as a young child. "I did not listen to them. And I did not understand. All I understand was playing and playing."


No comments:
Post a Comment